[Farmall] farmall A

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 05:56:15 PST 2011

I've always had to remove the radiator on my A and Super A to get the
bottom (lower) hose off and to put both hoses back on, but anyone should
correct me if there's a way to do it I am missing. I always replaced the
hoses as part of the restoration, so I can't talk about a "field" repair
wherein I wouldn't want to pull the whole tractor apart!

I saw that Steiner has a hose also for $4.50 apiece, but my recommendation
would be to get the proper size hose and cut it yourself so that you can
guarantee it will be long enough for your tractor.  I picked up a length of
car hose that was the proper size and cut it to my specific lengths.  In my
two tractor experience, the lower hose seems to need to be longer than the
upper hose.

Kevin and John both are right on about doing anything to reduce stress on
the radiator.  On both of my tractors, the studs on the bottom of the
radiator unscrewed with the nut.  In my case, I was able to put the
radiator back on by sliding the top into the upper hose first and then push
the bottom easily into the lower hose.  But when I put the studs back in, I
coated the threads with thread sealant.  I doubt if those studs were
supposed to come out.

Ben Wagner

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM, CLIFFORD POTTER <clifford.e.potter at snet.net