[AJD] Hay Mower (wrong make, though)

David Ransom davidhenryransom at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 15:15:56 PST 2011

It's not a John Deere, but...

Do any of you have a New Idea 251 or similar sickle bar hay mower?  The
bolts for holding the gearbox housing to the frame broke, and when I was
looking at the broken bolts, I noticed something else that didn't seem
right.  There is a round hole in the gearbox housing directly under the
pivot for the mechanism for raising and lowering the rear of the mower.
Inside the gearbox housing, directly above the round hole, I could feel a
roundish metal thing, convex on the bottom.  It felt rather loose.  I am
assuming it is supposed to fit in the round hole.  I am wondering if it is
just a plug, or if it is some sort of a bearing cap for the raising/lowering
mechanism, in which case I guess I will probably need to take the gearbox
housing apart.