[AT] Sweet potato planter

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue May 31 04:52:40 PDT 2011

Yes, it should be either a Holland or a Mechanical brand transplanter. I own
and have owned both and run them at various times over the last 30 years.
The fingers are different between the two on the "old" style that you have.
Identifying which is which is aided by going to the websites of the two
companies and looking at the pictures of the finger type parts.
     Don't get confused by the plug type carousel models that both companies
offer, that is the more modern style. The interesting thing is that if you
have non-uniform plants, even if they are the modern plug style grown
transplants (for vegetables and flowers) that then you are better off with
the old style finger transplanters. On the other hand the carousel type can
be fed by literally anyone at all no matter how inept.... These planters are
really pretty fascinating to operate, make sure that the depth is set right
(manuals are available from both companies), the gears are set to match your
spacing and that everything is lubricated well and worn parts are replaced
and they are a joy to use. If you do not make sure these basic maintenance
items are done you will regret it but the nice part is that they are pretty
simple to understand and service. The adjustments are the part then that
allows you to avoid hand setting the plants that just are not set right....
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California Vegetable, Fruit and Nuts Farmer