[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Sat May 7 09:33:20 PDT 2011

Gene,
	There is actually a bit of difference in #1 and kerosene.  A kerosene
burner or kerosene lamp will soot using #1.  Kerosene is thinner and
dryer and hard to find anymore.  Kerosene and jet fuel are very close
cousins with different grades of each.  Not all grades are available at
all pipeline terminals.  There are many grades of jet fuel alone.  The
most common ends up what is sold as Jet A.(the desirable additives are
in there)  Jet A burns nice in a portable heater such as a Knipco, and
if you happen to know the guy that tests each transport load and sumps
the storage facilities, trucks, and airplanes on the field, sometimes
you can get a barrel at a very good price.  It is considered
contaminated and cannot be used for aviation fuel and is hazardous waste
to be disposed of.   Shhhhh.  Competition not needed.  You will notice
that many of the line trucks are diesels anymore.  I wonder why?

Ron Cook
Salix, IA