[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sat May 7 10:10:29 PDT 2011

    Ron;

    Yes, there are many differences in the lighter fuels, but didn't want to
go into them.

    Kerosene is available here as the Amish use it in their lamps. Very
expensive to buy. It has to be clear with no dye to protect the lamo wicks.

    Good friend works maintenance at Ohio University Airport and one of his
responsibilities is to sump the tanks. He has a Ford diesel truck and adds
jetA to his fuel and also runs his MM tractors on 100LL. He is very careful
to get a good, big sample each probe. Another of his responsibilities is the
careful disposal of the contaminated fuel to prevent any environmental
problems.

    The new diesel powered piston airplanes run on straight jetA and they
have yet to deternine service limits for these engines, but some are
predicting 3,500 hours. When I hit the lottery, I am going to buy one of the
SMA powered Maule M9-230"s.

                        Gene