[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Sat May 7 04:36:06 PDT 2011

>> Charlie V.
> To the best of my knowledge, in Canada anyway, the fuel oil you burn in
> your furnace to heat the house is the same fuel that goes into the
> diesel tractor and trucks. Only difference is the price.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

Ralph,

Your knowledge is pretty accurate.  You caused me to  giggle it and do
some readin.  I am not surprised my memory was a tad or two off.  Now
I cannot remember in what context the lower grades were mentioned,
except to caution against their use as motor fuel.  As Ron mentioned
it seems that at times grades three through six may be used for
heating oil but it is not the norm.  Here is a quote from and a link
to one of the pieces I read.

"Home Heating Oil is, however, a somewhat generic term, which covers a
variety of potential products, formulations, and compositions.  When
you purchase your Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil - it is YOUR
responsibility to insure what the composition and formulation is of
the Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil which is being pumped into and/or
stored within your tank.  As previously mentioned, this composition
can vary for a wide variety of reasons, and all Home Heating Oil /
Fuel Oil is not always the same."

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/dieselvsheating.htm

When I lived in a home that used fuel oil for heat, the supplier
always loaded it up with #1 during winter even though the tank was in
the cellar.  ???  I guess that must have been standard practice to
prevent gel.

Keep the sun shining.
Charlie V.