[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sat May 7 05:24:42 PDT 2011

    I heat with fuel oil and have a small tank for diesel fuel for the
tractors. Both oils are #2 diesel and come from the same tank and hose. Both
are dyed for non tax purposes. Winter blend is blended with about 15% #1
diesel, which is kerosene.

    #5 oil is used in industrial boilers, railroad locomotives and large
ships. #3 and 4 are mostly small industrial boilers, small ships and winter
fuel for locomotives.

    #1 oil, or kerosene is used for lamps, small heaters and fur jet fuel
with additives to prevent icing and improve high altitude performance.

    Fuel oil is rated in viscosity with #1 being the thinnest and # 5 being
the heaviest. Most systems using the heavier fuels require preheating for
vaporization. BTU content increases with the heavier fuels.

                Gene