[AT] Flax Harvest

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:30:58 PST 2011

Yes, I recognized it as gear whine.  I think most of the old tractors had
their own gear whine signature.  I believe I could identify a Farmall A or
Super A just from the whine.  I guess it's from using straight cut instead
of helical gears?

Back about 10 years I did a bit of work as an adjuster for a Federal Crop
Insurance agency.  One guy near here that tends about 4,000 acres had some
corn blown down by a hurricane that passed off the coast.  I was down there
about 2 or 3 days later to look at his loss.  Some of the ears of corn that
were touching the ground already had kernels sprouting.  At 80 degs and 90
percent humidity it doesn't take long.  The only thing around here we can
cut and come back for later is hay and if it rains before we get it up you
can pretty well write it off too.

Charlie