[AT] Was AT Digest, Vol 88, Issue 17, Now 6 to 12 Volt

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jun 27 15:47:09 PDT 2011

There are several reasons for higher voltage. One obvious one for car
manufacturers is that they can use smaller wires as the voltage goes up,
saving money on copper as well as weight. I have heard that Mercedes
Benz is experimenting with 48 volt systems for cars.

The rumor about the parking lights in London is true, but the cars were
equipped with very small parking lights that hardly used any power. But
there is no doubt that you can get brighter lights and better starting
motors using 12 volts than with 6 volts. As you probably know, some
tractors use 24 volt systems even back in the latter part of the last
century.

Mike