[AT] Super M generator belt / tensioning bracket

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Jun 26 12:15:10 PDT 2011

Thank you, gentlemen, mystery solved.  As many of you pointed out, generator
belt tensioning is of course supposed to be accomplished via the split
pulley, and that was the source of the problem.

I went out this afternoon to check and sure enough, that pulley had been
adjusted way "out" so the effective diameter of the pulley was quite small,
too small to provide any tension on the belt.  I adjusted it back in,
narrowing the overall "thickness" of the pulley by 1/8", and that restored
proper tension on the belt.

The upper generator bracket that I'd bought via eBay has a rectangular slot
with rounded ends, rather than just a circular bolt hole, at the end that
attaches to the generator.  Some prior owner of that bracket must have felt
the need to cut that slot in there, and when I saw it I assumed it was
original and was the means of adjusting the belt tension.  I guess having
the slot would mean you could tilt the generator in toward the engine to
give yourself a lot of slack when changing the belt, although you could
accomplish the same thing just by removing that upper bolt entirely.
Anyway, the tractor is back together now, and I feel better having that
upper bracket in place.  Relying on the tightness of the two lower bolts to
hold the generator at the proper angle away from the engine seemed like it
was asking for trouble.

On the subject of the 12 volt conversion, Dudley, you'd asked about
generator vs. alternator.  It's a   generator and looks original.  I tested
voltage today at the battery both before and after adjusting the pulley.
With the engine off and lights off, voltage was an even 12.0.  Turning the
lights on brought it down to 11.7 volts.  With the engine on but lights off,
voltage was an even 13.0, and with the engine on and lights on, voltage was
12.6.  The readings were the same after adjusting the pulley.  The 13.0V
reading with the engine running but lights off means the generator was
re-wound for the 12-volt conversion, correct?

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net