[AT] OT - Shocking a well

henry7638@gmail.com hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Jul 13 07:15:20 PDT 2011

I'm surprised the state didn't require a test before you moved in.

Iron filters come in two types, the potasium pergamate that others have mentioned (and spelled correctly), and a system with an air compressor to mix air with the water. (Both use greensand to filter the water after oxidising the iron). I have the latter and it works great. Well it works great until it clogs - I have to take it apart to remove the bult up iron every year.

Be careful about shocking a well - it is very common to have to replace your pump a few years after shocking a well because chlorine damages something. Get the right amount of chorline in the system and you should be fine.

Mike M <meulenms at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
Does anyone on the list have any experience shocking a water well. We moved into a house that is in an area known for high iron content in the water. When we run the water, especially in a run that hasn't been run in a while, we get a rotten egg odor. I suspect iron or sulpher bacteria and would like to try disinfecting the well. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike M