[AT] Motor challenges of the modern? variety

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Wed Jul 6 20:24:55 PDT 2011

Grant,

We used to have a 6-71 Detroit (reverse drive) bolted directly to a
Berkley 1500 gpm pump.  It worked great.  We had an electric primer
motor made by Hale pump company.  It took about 2 minutes to prime the
pump.  We had an 8" suction and a 6" discharge.  The suction line was
about 75' long and ran at about a 30 degree angle to the river.

We also had a 2000 gpm Hale PTO pump.  We ran that with our John Deere
4440.  I know they were rated at 130 PTO HP, but ours was turned up to
175 hp.  It worked that tractor.  It used a 1000 rpm PTO.

I also failed to mention we had a 90' head to push against to get the
water up out of the valley.  That was the main reason for the big pumps
and big lines.

Lou