[AT] OT for the northern guys

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 18 04:24:13 PST 2011

Are any of our northern US members or Mattias seeing the Northern Lights
these days?

I understand there is a lot of sun spot activity and that the auroras are
highly visible.

When I was a small boy I remember my mother taking my sister and I outside
late on a
cold night to see the "northern lights".  That was here in coastal NC.  It's
extremely unusual
for them to be visible here.   Thinking back on it I wonder how she knew
about them.   Back then
we had one or two TV stations that you could see through the static if you
even had a TV set and
I'm not sure we did at that time.  Or you could listen to a table top AM-FM
radio if a signal could
be pulled in.   I don't know, maybe it was a power line shorting out in the
distance and she just thought
it was the northern lights.  grins.