[AT] OT for the northern guys

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:14:02 PST 2011

I have never been able to see them from this location South of Lake
Ontario.  I believe that is partly due to the metropolitan area North
of here.  Of the twenty crow miles from here to the Ontario shore
line, approximately ten of it is metropolitan.  Often at night the
lower quadrant of our northern sky will be lighted from reflection of
the "city lights".  I think Ralph gets a good look at them from his
location.

I looked out at the back yard one evening about a week ago and
wondered why it was lighted almost like daylight on the snow (no
moon).  I ultimately decided the athletic field lights at the school
must be on.  That is about one half mile away and not visible on a
direct line of sight.  Being very cold, the lights must have been
transmitting here by means of the ice particles in the very cold air.
The word prism comes to mind.  In New york out school fields are
better lit than Yankee Stadium because we only think green when it
involves the activity of someone else.  I checked again after ten PM
and sure nuff, it was dark out back then.  Interesting situation
anyhow.

Charlie V.