[AT] Talking about shops/sheds

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 15 04:33:58 PST 2011

Al,  if you can get your friend to lay the block for you for free, masonry
block might be the way to go.  Otherwise, if you have to hire block masons
and go 14' high on the walls they will be working from scaffolding for over
half of the height of the wall and that will get expensive.  The only way
you will ever know is to get quotes both ways.  I'd look at pre-engineered
steel too.  They go up fast and are very durable.  I'm not a big fan of
masonry block buildings but we have a small tractor shed and shop over at
the farm that is built from masonry block.  It's 50 years old and never had
one lick of maintenance done to it.  One corner needs repair now because I
let an oak tree grow up beside it on the back corner by the woods.  I never
realized it was so close until it was too late and had cracked one corner
out but it's still standing.  Just needs the tree cut down and some minor
repair.

Cold weather is not the problem here that some of the guys have to deal
with.  I think a wood stove would do an adequate job for you.  The only
problem with any open flame heat in a shop is gasoline fumes if you happen
to tear down a carb. or have a leak.  Radiant heat is a good idea too.  It's
fast and heats only the area where you are working.  I've got a couple of
Mr. Heater propane radiant heaters that do a good job as long as they are
close to the work area.

Charlie