[AT] OT big satellite dishes

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 12 07:20:50 PST 2011

Ken, I'm 90+% sure I read it on some site like ATIS (not saying it was here)
and it was two guys talking about doing it.  Apparently it was a fairly
common thing.  My guess is maybe they disconnected the mount so they could
swing them around and aim them at each other.  I can't think of a pair of
locations that would allow two dishes to be aimed at one another while still
hooked to the mount unless of course one of them was in space.  Yep they
made spun aluminum dishes.  I can't remember the name brand but they were
kind of the Cadillac of the industry for a while.   A friend of mine used to
do a lot of sat. TV work.  He still does but it's all small dishes now.
Anyway he had several of those aluminum dishes from systems he had taken out
for people.  They were about the only one's he would keep.
I tried to talk him out of one but wasn't successful.

As for the solar collector, I've played with that a bit myself.  Aluminum
foil tape like HVAC guys use on duct work will make quick work of turning an
18" dish into a collector and it will put out a lot of heat.
I'm thinking a metal can painted black with a copper or aluminum tubing coil
inside and mounted at the focal point would make a fair water heater.
Haven't tried it yet.

Actually what got me to thinking about the guys talking between dishes was
brought on pondering something else.   I was wondering if antenna's placed
in the focal points of dishes and aimed at each other would work for
transmitting low power radio signals between to line of sight points.

Charlie