[AT] Welders

k7jdj at aol.com k7jdj at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 18:02:55 PST 2011

Mike,

I agree with what others have said.  I got by with a Craftsman 1950 vintage 200 amp buzz box for many years.  Then I got a Lincoln SA200 engine driven DC welder.  I have welded crawler dozer tracks for friend and didn't think they would last a day with the SA200.  That was years ago and they are still holding.  They wouldn't have, had they been mine.  I now have a Lincoln Ranger 8 engine driven as well.  I use the Craftsman and the Lincoln SA200 and rarely use the Ranger 8, mostly because of convenience. I have borrowed a MIG welder for light sheet metal work. That works better for me on light materials.  If you decide to go with a stick welder spend the extra money and get one that also has DC.  I have never had formal training but can do a decent job.  Eye sight, a steady hand, and having to be a contortionist have been a problem in recent years.  I have used my son's TIG for fun/demonstrations but not for anything that needed repair.

Gary

Renton, WA.