[AT] Carb problems

Dick Day ddss at telebeep.com
Sat Dec 24 18:24:14 PST 2011

First... MARRY CHRISTMAS!  May everyone on the list have a safe and Blessed
Christmas (hope I did not offend anyone :)  )

Second...

A while back, I posted a question about David Bradley tractors. Well, I
bought two, one is the very first model they sold through Sears, a 5751 and
the other is a 1955 Super 3.

The Super 3 was re-powered with a Briggs Model 14, 5hp engine.

This is the first time I have ever worked with lawn & garden-sized engines.
The carb on the Model 14 has some issues.  After checking fluid levels and
setting the carb adjustments per the manual, I opened the petcock on the
fuel tank and saw gas leaking big-time from the carb.

I removed the carb and discovered:

1. The threads in the opening of the carb where the brass needle valve
screws in are stripped.  I could see this by the way the brass slotted head
was chewed up that someone forced the needle valve in there.  I managed to
get it out but can see that the threads are totally messed up.  This is not
the source of leaking gas but is a major problem

2. The float was not sticking and it does not have a hole in it and it was
adjusted properly and everything looks clean. I did notice that the brass
seat that the needle pin goes into was also chewed up.  There is some reason
the pin is not being fully inserted into the seat, which I believe is the
cause for the leaking gas.

I am pretty sure the needle valve opening will need to be repaired,
something I am not equipped to do.

Are there Briggs carb rebuild services out there or places that sell rebuilt
carbs?  I know I could buy a Northern Tools replacement engine for under
$200 but would rather get this old engine running.  Thoughts?

Thanks!