[AT] Welders

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Dec 4 22:13:00 PST 2011

On 12/4/2011 6:01 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> Mike this is a good site to look around on.  Their prices are good too.
> http://store.cyberweld.com/millerwelders.html  Unless you know how to weld
> already I think you'd be better off to go with a  stick rig.
> MIG is nice but it's expensive to buy, cost a lot to use and can be
> problematic and require repairs with the feed mechanism.   It's just not
> really worth it if you just want to do some welding now and then and you
> want to weld a variety of thickness of metal.
>
> Charlie Hill

Charlie,

Sure agree with using a buzz box for your first welder.  Used an OLD
Craftsman 180 Amp AC for a few years and though 'twas a bit light, got
most of my jobs done just fine.  As was stated here, a DC welder is
preferable.  With an AC buzz box with less than a 200 or 225 Amp rating,
the lower duty cycle time can get to be a real nuisance (forcing you to
pause after much welding).

Don't forget to set up good air movement/exhaust for any indoor areas
where you locate an indoor welder, as you don't want to inhale fumes
when you weld - especially on galvanized metal.  A short and cheap high
school evening class for adults on welding was a great investment of
time when I started. Since moving to town, I sure miss welding and
cutting with stick and gas. Always lusted after a Heliarc welder ($$$)
for aluminum and wanted to learn brazing, but access to a
friend's oxy-acetylene aircraft size torch at least allowed me to build
some very handy special wrenches and other steel tools cheaply.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas