[AT] Stock Tank Heaters.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Aug 14 19:06:19 PDT 2011

OK
I know this is the middle of the summer and we are not using heaters in the
stock tanks. I had to open up about 50 acres for my sheep to graze because
of the drought. They are grazing with 2 horses and 2 longhorn cows. This
morning I noticed Foam on the top of the water in one of my small stock
tanks that is at a far end of the pasture. When I stuck my hand in the
water, it nearly burned my hand.... We have had numerous thunderstorms or
monsoons this last week. We are thankful because we are in the USDA
exceptional drought category ( translation da_ _ Dry) In fact it is drier
that the dust bowl days. The thunderstorms produced a lot of lightning and
it struck close enough to throw a breaker on an unrelated circuit. The
thermostat switch was shorted and caused the heater to run constantly with
the 90-100 deg heat we have had each day... These heaters are the ones that
fit into the drain plug hole on the tank. It was a 100 gal 2x4 tank 2 ft
tall.. If you have one, I would suggest you cut off the power to it until it
is needed. My dog would take a swim without testing the water first, he
could have really been burned.
We also need to check on these in the winter. .....
My sheep were having to go an extre 1/4 mile to water in 105 degree heat for
the last 2 days before I found this....
Cecil in OKla