[AT] OT--ATV starter gear

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Aug 27 13:18:42 PDT 2011

Slightly OT but has anyone here ever changed the starter gear on an ATV? I pulled the flywheel off my Kawasaki Mule to turn the starter gear around. Works the same way as a tractor, just heat it up with a torch, tap it off, flip it and reinstall. My concern is the magnets for the charging system are glued/epoxied inside the flywheel. I used as little heat as I could get by with but I am concerned the epoxy may turn loose, wiping out the entire charging system and bending the crankshaft. According to Kawasaki the starter gear is not available separate, my guess is this is the reason. Anybody had any experience in this?

John Hall