[AT] [Farmall] Fwd: [SEL] OT IH M tractor question for a friend

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 10:07:33 PDT 2011

 From less than happy experience, I have found out that IH used two
different engine mounted hydraulic pumps on the Super M. They are almost
identical, but the later pump won't fit on the earlier engine - the
holes for the mounting bolts are in different places. (I now own a spare
pump that doesn't fit my Super M.) Maybe Jim Becker can tell you which
engines work with which pumps. Avoid the transmission mounted
pump/reservoir - it is (in my opinion) not one of IH's better ideas and
has limited capacity and pressure.

<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/superm_pump.html>

Just because the engine is "seized" from sitting doesn't make it junk.
Sometimes you can coax the pistons out and just replace the rings. Or,
you can yank the pistons and liners out and put in a kit.

Mike