[AT] Actual antique tractor vegetable discussion

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 24 03:53:15 PDT 2011

As I started to say before I accidentally sent the message,  the hardest our
pump ever ran was because of too much water.  One year we had a ton of rain.
Even though our farm is basically a sand hill a couple of acres of our
tobacco got flooded.   The field was next to one of the irrigation ponds and
in a low spot.   The pond was overflowed into the field.  We managed to get
the tractor and pump through the saturated soil over to the edge of the pond
which we could only find because of the bushes growing on the edge of the
bank.   We set the pump up standing in water almost up to the axle of the
tractor and ran irrigation pipe over the hill and into the road ditch.  The
tractor sat there and ran against the governor for about 3 days.  We fueled
it (carefully) with the engine still running but we finally got the water
out of the field and back within the pond banks.

Charlie