[AT] Now NC twisters: -now hail vegetable discussion

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Apr 20 17:41:48 PDT 2011

Charlie, your question about using a Sickle bar mower to cut baby vegetable
greens for re-growth is a good one. I have a sickle bar mower and have used
them in the past extensively. I have always liked them for cutting many
items and find their technology to be fascinating. Interestingly, because I
have not had the time to try using the sickle-bar mower that I have in the
three years I have had this particular one, I am not sure if it would do a
better or worse job on cutting baby greens for regrowth or not! It seems to
me that the down side would be no control of where the cut leaves fall -
i.e. some would land on the crop.) On the other hand, it seems to me that
with a sharp sickle bar, for some greens it could possibly work out fine. I
just am not sure yet and until I could test the sickle bar out, I am
hesitant to speculate....
         Grant Brians
         Hollister,California farmer of Vegetables, Nuts and Fruit.