[AT] Crop insurance and disasters analyzed in California

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Apr 20 08:24:38 PDT 2011

Ralph, you are right about crop/hail insurance not being a factor here. The
manner in which American hail insurance is structured is designed to match
the needs of the large grain / soybean or single crop fruit grower. By this
I mean that the damage payout is set by reaching a damage percentage
threshold for the total production of that crop in either a property or
operation basis. This works well for those crops because they are
planted/harvested one time per season and you can easily see the percentage
of loss either visually or in the harvest amount after harvest.
     In the case of the vegetable industry here except for Mechanical
Harvest cannery tomatoes and Freezer Peppers, the typical operation harvests
a given crop multiple times throughout the season, has multiple plantings of
the same crop and does not sustain the damage threshold from one or even
multiple plantings losses being 100%. A few years ago we had an
extraordinary winter freeze. I lost 85% of my winter Turnip, winter Radish,
Kohlrabi and other crops in addition to lower percentages of many other
greens and other crops. All told a very big loss for me at the time (or
today for that matter!) The County Agricultural Commissioner encouraged me
to apply for disaster assistance as none of these crops have a prepaid crop
insurance program to use. I filled out the paperwork and he determined that
because I grow a Fall and Summer Turnip program, year round for radishes,
and various combinations of year round and seasons for the other items that
not a single crop qualified even with 85-100% crop loss!!!
     For reasons like these, California has a very low percentage of
participation (9% claimed by EWG analysis, although I looked at the data for
my county and found an amazing amount of skewed and inaccurate data as far
as active operations) in agricultural programs even though we produce 12.3%
of farm sales in the nation. Interestingly, because virtually no vegetable
crops are covered by crop insurance here (coastal California), the only
assistance we might get is through disaster programs. In analyzing the
payment data for our county, I found that the amounts claimed as paid in
both crop and disaster payments did not go to vegetable production
operations and even where mixed operations received funds, the money did not
go to the vegetable production portion. Also, nearly all of the actual crop
subsidies in our county went to people who NO LONGER PRODUCE Cotton and
Grain actively! Granted these amounts are declining over time, but still
that just seems completely wrong!
     The only crops that routinely carry crop insurance here in our county
are Cherries and Wheat....
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California farmer of Vegetables, Nuts and Fruit (no
cherries...)