[AT] Now NC twisters: was Mina problem

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 18 06:41:38 PDT 2011

It was quite a show here if you were able to detach emotionally from it.
There is an ABC affiliate in my town and CBS and NBC are about 45 miles
away.  All three stations have Doppler radar and well trained meteorologist.
For a while there were 5 distinct lines of tornadoes on the ground at once
spreading from the Raleigh area all the way to the coast.  The TV weather
guys all did a find job but I promise you they needed a stiff drink and a
good shower when the last of the storms cleared about 9 pm.   In the middle
of it all, our local ABC affiliate was taking repeated lightning strikes to
their tower.
It didn't knock the off the air but it was playing havoc with their video.
For 30 minutes or longer they had an unintended split screen with the top
half of the image at the bottom of the screen.   The weather folks were
using their computers to tell folks the path of the storms and the predicted
impact times on different communities.   They did a wonderful job and
probably saved some lives.
Normally our tornadoes here are of short duration so community horns and
alarms are not effective.   Therefore we don't have any.   These storms were
of the same sort as you guys in the Midwest have where the tornado covers a
track 40, 50 or maybe 100 miles long.  If it hadn't been for the TV guys
folks would not have known what to do.  One tornado passed right over the
town where I grew up and where my soon to be 93 year old mother still lives.
She lost power.  Luckily the storm didn't touch down as it passed over the
town but I was able to talk to her on her cell phone and tell her when the
storm had passed over so she could come out of her safe spot in the middle
of the house.

Charlie