[AT] Question on the forum

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Mon Apr 11 21:11:54 PDT 2011

I think that I have to agree with Rupert.  Heat the casting in an oven
for several hours and stick the seal in the freezer for several hours.
I would place the casting on a cookie sheet or something like that.
Have some sort of a hot pad close to the freezer.  Take the casting out
of the oven and set it close to the freezer.  Then pull the seal out of
the freezer and stick it in the hole.  You will have to move fast with
the seal.  That will warm up quicker than the cast will cool down.  Once
you start in the hole with the seal don't stop till it is seated.  A
machine shop, that I have used, installs cylinder liners in this
fashion.  They heat the block in the oven that they bake the grime off
of parts with, and they pack the liners on dry ice.  My buddy told me
you better keep that liner moving all the way into the hole or there are
going to be problems.  Move fast and don't second guess yourself.

Lou