[Farmall] Questions and Parts? for Super A

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 30 13:58:45 PDT 2010

I have placed my replies, if any, after your questions.

Al

The earlier Super A's used the one-piece box. Since you have one converted to 12 volt, you need to make sure your battery is no larger than the regular 6 volt battery.  I think they make some 12 volt batteries that are physically small enough.  Now if it was me, I would convert it back to 6 volt like it ought to be.  But that will be spendy.

>2. On pg. 178 of the Parts Manual from Binder Books, there is item #12, "Bracket, Starting Crank".  I am not sure what this part is...does it attach to the grill?  Does it somehow hold the starting crank?  My grill is a bit messed up down at the lower section (need a new one of those, too!?) so I hadn't noticed this part, if it is there at all.

As mentioned, it bolts onto the top of the trans. case, right by your left leg.  Sometimes the little clips break off.

>3. I see there are 3 front ends: Non-adjustable, Adjustable/"Special", and "Heavy Duty".  I think I just have the Adjustable, since I do not have the extra holes and attachments the parts book shows for the Heavy duty.  However, I saw a friends SA and he had a square (diamond) shaped front axle (it had an "International" emblem).  Is that a heavy duty axle?  Is it a different model?

The diamond shaped axle is the heavy duty.  It could be ordered for a regular Super A but most likely showed up on the International Super A.  The International Super A's were basically industrial versions.  Most had a foot throttle, and were often painted yellow.  IIRC the serial number tag will say IAA and the serial number, Farmalls say FAA.

>4. My SA came with a 3-point hitch conversion (on which I have some work to do) with no drawbar.  I want to pull a trailer, and am not sure of the simplest way to get a hitch on.  Do I need a Swinging Drawbar, Quick Attachable Drawbar, a 3-pt Drawbar, or does someone have something else that could be used?  Can I leave it attached with a cultivator attached to the 3-point?

I guess the fastest thing would be to buy a regular swinging drawbar, like the Ford/Fergusons use.  Are you planning to cultivate and pull a trailer too?  If so I would find the standard, U-shaped Super A drawbar.  It won't sway like that three point will.  As good as the cultivator setup for a Super A is, There is no way I would try to use any kind of cultivator on the three point hitch.

>5. I see a very small amount of oil around the PTO area, which doesn't really worry me, but it is a bit milky, indicating moisture/water in it.  What is the best method for flushing the reservoirs?  Do I simply drain and refill, operate and repeat, hoping to get the water out?  Or do I actually use something else to flush it out?  Should I do the same for all reservoirs: steering gear housing (which is the next question), transmission, rear axle housings, belt pulley housing?

If you want, drain, fill with diesel/kerosene, drive it around a little, drain completely, and refill.  Check with the owners manual about where to check/add oil, and where the level plugs are.  I wouldn't overfill with your flushing material, or your replacement oil.  Use 85W/140W gear oil for the final fill.

>6.  The Cub simply had gear oil in the steering gear housing, and I see the SA has gear oil as well, but when looking at it, I see there is a grease fitting on top of the Steering Gear Reservoir.  What am I greasing?  Does it simply go into the reservoir and mix with the gear oil?  Is it a separate chamber?

You're greasing the bearing in the top of the steering gear housing.  A lot of times, that whole reservoir is full of grease to help fight a leaky seal.

Your tractor is the earliest Super A I have ever heard of.  I know a collector has the very first one, yours is less than 400 tractors from that.  Would love to see pictures.

I may have some head lights, a front rim or two (not perfect but not rusted out) and maybe even some tie rod seats.  Let me know if you can use any of them.

Al