[AT] test (apropos the Saskatechewan weather comment)

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:17:24 PDT 2010

Farmer,  a year like that ended my farming career in 1967.   My father died
the year before and the next year, my senior year in high school, we leased
out the tobacco allotment and I decided to tend soybeans.  I had about 20
acres planted in beans.  I plowed them, sprayed them and walked every row by
myself pulling the mid to late season weeds.  I had a beautiful crop, about
waste high and completely filling the middles.  They plants were full of
pods.  Life was good.  Then August came and it didn't rain and it didn't
rain.   When I had the beans picked the individual beans were about the size
of BB shot.  The pods were filled out and the beans were perfectly formed
but they were just very small.   I made enough off of the 20 acres to pay
the fertilizer bill and the farm taxes.  I got nothing for my labor, tractor
expenses or anything else.   The next year I went off to college and that
was that.   I should have stayed closer to home for college and kept trying.
I've regretted it ever since.

Charlie