[AT] test (apropos the Saskatechewan weather comment)

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:50:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM, charlie hill
<charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Ralph my dad always said "dry weather will scare you near to death but wet
> weather will kill you".
>
> Charlie

=====================================

It is still hanging on the edge of dust bowl conditions here on my
part of the edge of the prairie in Central Indiana. After 16" of rain
in July we only had .37" in all of August and .10" so far in
September. I'm already feeding hay and pastures are almost decimated.
Some fescue is growing OK but the orchard grass is gone. The ragweed
is doing nicely though. :-)
We may get some decent rain this week. Much of the northern part of
the state has been getting rain along and I was about 40 miles east of
here and noticed that they don't have our brown crunchy lawns.
Corn and soybeans are maybe approaching 40% harvested. Baling hay here
is just about out of the question unless you like baled ragweed. One
good thing is that it is still early enough that with a few decent
rains the pastures will have plenty of time to recharge before winter.
Pasture growth can be fairly quick up into November. They don't plant
much winter wheat here until after October 2nd (our Hessian fly free
date). I have had good germination as late as November 1st.
I need to be over-seeding pastures about now so the bare spots will
sprout this fall yet.

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com