[Farmall] how to check a ta on a Farmall 400

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Sep 12 06:05:06 PDT 2010

The tractor will work fine without the TA being functional. You just
lose the ability to drop your ground speed without having to stop and
change gears or stop the PTO. It all depends on what kind of work you
are planning on using the tractor for. I am not a farmer, so I can't
guide you there. I like having the TA when I am backing up to mount an
implement or when I am cutting with the sickle bar mower in heavy
material. I should point out that replacing or repairing the TA is not a
trivial matter - the tractor has to be split, and rebuilt TA's for the
300/400 series tractors can run well over $500. They can be rebuilt by
owners, and I have seen ads for video's that purport to walk you through
the process. The TA on my 560 is out, and I am waiting for my winning
number in the lottery so I can have someone else do the job. Meanwhile,
I live without it. (I also plan to buy a ticket one of these days. :-) )

Crawlers are a whole other world - everything is heavier and harder to
access, more difficult to move and more difficult to fix. The problem
with most old crawlers is wear on the tracks, sprockets, and turning
clutches. My advice is to not get involved with a crawler unless you
have someone around with some experience and the bigger tools that are
required. I would, at the least, do a lot of research before tackling
something like that.

Mike