[Farmall] Looking for Super A "Groups" or Clubs or gatherings?

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 19:13:27 PDT 2010

All I know is he said it broke the crank while mowing grass. I've been
friends with the seller for over 15 years. I was interested in it to fix up
for re-sale but the asking price was too high to turn a profit. If you get
stumped on something, ask away, plenty of folks on the list that are usually
quiet until someone asks for help.

 I don't know the shape of your project tractor but unless something is
special about that one, I'd fix up whichever one is in the best shape. If
this is a restoration then you may want to find out which one has all the
correct parts. Most of these tractors have been modified slightly from when
they left the assembly line. Usually the steering has been updated (ball
joints), kerosene manifolds have been replaced, water pumps added, Fast
hitches or 3 pt sometimes added, and sometimes a seat off a 140 has been
added. Most have had a pipe or piece of angle iron welded to the rod
connecting the rear lift arms to the hydraulic reservoir--engineering weak
point.

 Here are some things to look for to help you decide which components to
use; damaged final drive housings including shafts and bearings,
transmission seals that leaked and got the brakes, worn out steering
gearboxes. Watch out for heli-coils or nuts welded to the steering housing
where the cultivator arms mount. Check the oil pan for dents from the
cultivator. Check the left fender where it bolts to the transmission for
rust out---riding a sack of fertilizer to make a round tended to greatly
accelerate this problem. Don't be surprised if you pull a final drive
housing and find the brake drum has run loose and ruined itself, the shaft,
and damaged the transmission housing or right axle extension. I won't go
into 12 volt conversions. Check the front axle spindles for
breaks/repairs----not a big problem on A's compared to Cubs. The steering
shaft support can get really worn. Seat springs may be broken and welded.
Look for grease leaks around the PTO and belt pulley--could be a sign of a
groove worn in the shaft, not just a bad seal.Check the hydraulic line
between the pump and reservoir--not uncommon to find one that has been
repaired. The right brake pedal tends to show a lot of wear in the pivot.
Check this stuff out when you have time.

John Hall