[AT] John Hall--grist mills?

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 18:15:30 PDT 2010

Don't know of anyone right now that has one for sale or that is "clean"
enough to grind for human consumption. You may want to try around the
mountains, that's in Meadows backyard.

 We've got an IHC mill that was made by Meadows. We pull it with a 6
cylinder Silver Diamond engine off of an IH silage chopper. Dad grew some
yellow corn to play with this fall. We used to use this unit to grind about
300lbs of Truckers Favorite (open pollinated white corn) every fall. We
would use the nubbing attachment on the sheller to get rid of any damaged or
imperfect grains before we shelled it. Our mill is missing the sifter so
when we gave away the meal we always had to caution folks to sift it! By the
way, we would freeze some of the meal for long term storage. If it weren't
so much trouble I'd love to open the mill up and clean it out well enough to
make some meal.

It's always interesting to watch folks at a show "grind" meal. Most are
making feed, at best. You'd be surprised how much horsepower it takes,
especially since you run the mill fairly slow. We always run it to where the
meal is almost too hot to hold when it is coming out the discharge. If you
are running in cold weather you can actually see a bit of steam/fog.

John Hall