[AT] More on pump, now $150 scan tool

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Nov 18 20:53:37 PST 2010

Ralph Goff wrote:
> [...]

If you ONLY want to read the codes you can buy a simple code tool for
about 30 bucks from places like Harbor Freight or most auto parts
places. The Actron units are pretty good for a basic tool that will show
you some live data.
It all comes down to what you want to do. If it's just to look at codes
and see if you have slow sensors or misfire data the lower end scan
tools are OK. If you want to be able to really test out the systems then
I suggest a good scan tool, you can get a Genisys unit new off E~Bay for
$1,300.00 that allows a LOT more diagnostic choices and options. With it
you can shut down injectors, run many specific tests, do ABS, airbag and
many other tests. It is possible to buy used ones for much less as well.

I have one as well as a Tech II, a Ford NGS unit. The Gen is what I grab
for most of the stuff. The other two get used if I need a specific test
or something that the Gen doesn't cover.

http://www.aa1car.com/scantoolhelp/    Has some good info.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)