[AT] Corn Shellers?

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 19:34:07 PDT 2010

Grant, I would guess a working 1 hole hand crank sheller would sell for
$100-250 depending on the brand and your location. The little Blackhawks
still sell for about $50, but they are way too small for your needs. We
shelled out about 4 bushels of corn with a single hole IHC sheller a couple
weeks ago. I pull it with a small Briggs engine. It will shell as fast as
you can feed it. There is an adjustable spring loaded part that you set
according to size of the cob. I've never tried anything as small as popcorn,
but imagine it would work OK. You've got to keep your wits about you with
one of these should a cob fail to discharge or if an ear doesn't want to
feed in, especially if you have hired help running it.

 Got anybody near you with a combine set up for corn? Maybe you could shovel
it in the header---be sure and clean out the combine good or you'll get
whatever he last threshed mixed in with your popcorn.

There were other stationary corn shellers that would probably make quick
work of what you need to shell. New Holland made one that was big enough
that you shoveled the corn in. A friend of mine has a cylinder type sheller,
I believe they were pretty common in the Midwest. You feed that one by the
shovel full as well.

Whatever you get, make sure it doesn't damage the cobs or you'll be needing
a seed cleaner too! You will probably still have to clean some chaff from
the threshed corn.

John Hall