[AT] Corn Shellers?

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue Nov 2 10:10:32 PDT 2010

I have a different kind of post this time. I grow popcorn and need to be
able to shell it efficiently. Our production is small so I know I am looking
at a used unit. The problem is that I know nothing about different models of
them. I understand the theory of operation and have hand cranked them when I
was younger visiting the midwest, so that should be no issue, but how much
should I spend? How can I assure the unit I get can be adjusted for
efficient operation with the small diameter ears that I produce? Are some
units "self-adjusting" for ear diameter? Some varieties I grow have kernels
on the top of the ear, some do not so does that impact the chosen model and
its efficiency? Should I get a hand crank unit or a newer electric motor
operated sheller?
     As the old expression goes, enquiring minds want to know. But then the
add on is that this enquiring mind wants to get a good tool in operation!
     This is also somewhat time sensitive as I would like to start selling
our popcorn to assess market demand.
           Grant Brians
           Hollister,California
           Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit farmer