[AT] "New" iron, now actually new John Deere and my first JD

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun May 16 19:20:59 PDT 2010

Grant Brians wrote:
> Well, now Deere and Company has a bunch of my money and I have some more
> debt. I bought from the local John Deere dealer a rental return JD6430 four
> wheel drive tractor Thursday with creeper transmission and TALL wheels. So,
> I now own a tractor that is only two years old, is my first John Deere and
> is the only one made after 1995.... I must admit that it handles really
> nicely, has a lot of power for its size and the controls are really easy to
> use. Having a plastic hood is really bizarre to me, but it seems most of the
> new tractors do have them. Also, having an electronically shifted partial
> powershift is really different. In keeping with our ideas of operator
> comfort here there is no cab, just a sunshade. The JD had 1632 hours on it
> as of delivery and has already acquired another 10 hours in the first work
> day it had. I will probably be using it more myself later today if my wife
> allows it....
>      So, I hope this is the last tractor I buy for a while as acquiring
> three in a two week period is pretty traumatic - LOL! I have started fixing
> the items I want to fix on the Cat D6C SA and expect to put that to work
> within several days, but CAT parts are indeed on the expensive side. The D6
> looks like it will get a lot of work rapidly and the John Deere will allow
> us to not be held up because of failures on the 1990's vintage units. If I
> keep expanding though, will I need more tractors? Ranch 5 should start
> needing ground working ASAP....
>          Grant Brians
>          Hollister,California

I drove a 6415 2wd haying for 2 years,  I really liked it.  I would have
liked to bought it, but the guy I worked for had a Dr. friend who paid
him a new price for it.  I really like my New Holland TS110 with the
clutchless shuttle.  I can stop and start with the round baler without
using the foot clutch.  This saves my old worn knee.  I would have liked
to find a cab for the Case 930 w/ hand clutch, it would have been 30K
cheaper,  I have located 3 930's with cabs, but the owners have backed
out on the sale.  I have not found a 930 cab in salvage or other.

Cecil in OKla