[AT] "New" iron, now actually new John Deere and my first JD

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Sun May 16 08:45:25 PDT 2010

Well, now Deere and Company has a bunch of my money and I have some more
debt. I bought from the local John Deere dealer a rental return JD6430 four
wheel drive tractor Thursday with creeper transmission and TALL wheels. So,
I now own a tractor that is only two years old, is my first John Deere and
is the only one made after 1995.... I must admit that it handles really
nicely, has a lot of power for its size and the controls are really easy to
use. Having a plastic hood is really bizarre to me, but it seems most of the
new tractors do have them. Also, having an electronically shifted partial
powershift is really different. In keeping with our ideas of operator
comfort here there is no cab, just a sunshade. The JD had 1632 hours on it
as of delivery and has already acquired another 10 hours in the first work
day it had. I will probably be using it more myself later today if my wife
allows it....
     So, I hope this is the last tractor I buy for a while as acquiring
three in a two week period is pretty traumatic - LOL! I have started fixing
the items I want to fix on the Cat D6C SA and expect to put that to work
within several days, but CAT parts are indeed on the expensive side. The D6
looks like it will get a lot of work rapidly and the John Deere will allow
us to not be held up because of failures on the 1990's vintage units. If I
keep expanding though, will I need more tractors? Ranch 5 should start
needing ground working ASAP....
         Grant Brians
         Hollister,California