[AT] OT--(but tractors do use oil)

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun May 16 16:51:07 PDT 2010

On 5/16/2010 3:26 PM, Ron Cook wrote:
> .... And, where does it get to these freezing temps the news people refer to?
> I actually heard one a couple
> days ago talk about the below freezing temps at that depth.  Huh?
> Damned submarine would get stuck in the ice, eh?

Ron,

The flow of a well often consists of a mixture of high pressure gas,
water, oil, light ends (high btu liquids a bit like gasoline), solids,
and other.  Gas taking a pressure drop cools VERY effectively.  As a
high pressure gas and water mix takes a drop in pressure it can  freeze
and plug the entire flow pronto.  On a well flowing on a land surface
well this pressure drop often occurs through a choke (valve designed to
withstand a 15,000 - or way more or less psi - continuous pressure drop)
immersed in heated water or flow within stream separation equipment. The
same freezing physics apply at deep water depths, so mechanisms or
devices to handle high stream volume and pressure drop from a ruptured
pipe subsea must be be tricky. Like many oil field emergency fixes
(think Red Adair skills), such arts are learned from trial and error and
experience.  No two wells are exactly the same, and there are regional
and formation anomalies aplenty in the deep sea drilling biz.  Parts of
it are high tech and ever changing.  For instance they are well into
trials of carbon fiber drill pipe, as the weight of drill string even in
water can be limiting. I kinda miss the oil and gas biz but have not
quite found a good way to get back into it.

Chuck Bealke