[AT] Iron and lots of it

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun May 9 14:54:54 PDT 2010

I can't speak to your area or dealers, but I can tell you my experience
selling for a New Holland dealer a few years back. The compact diesels
we sold are essentially the same ones Case IH dealers sell; theirs are
red while ours were blue. They are manufactured by Shibaura in Japan and
final assembly is done in the US (in Georgia). While they compared very
favorably with the Kubota tractors and sold for slightly less, Kubota
spends a LOT more money on marketing and advertising. So Kubota has
become the brand that the "horse people" look to when they are buying a
compact tractor. The real farm tractors sold by Case IH and New Holland
are not Japanese but are essentially the same ones built by Fiat and are
"world" tractors with parts from all over. I don't know what the pricing
structure is for Kubota, but the owner of my dealership had to sell a
fair number of compact machines to make any money. I suspect that Kubota
cuts deals that are hard to resist. In any case, even though I sold a
lot of compact diesel tractors, I was not impressed with the smaller
ones (under 30 hp) - they lacked sufficient power to do serious work.
And the prices were way beyond what I would spend for a tractor. (My old
International 240U with a 6' Woods three point finish mower will cut
circles around one of those machines, and I didn't spend 1/10 the amount
of money on it.)

I have to say that we very rarely had to do any repairs on any machines
we sold. The most common problem was owners leaving the front axles
engaged all the time and wearing out the front end - the ones we sold
were "front wheel assist", not real "four wheel drive". I don't know if
Kubota is any different. The farm tractors were very solid and held up
very well. (They are also much more comfortable than the older machines.)