[AT] Round-Up resistant weeds

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed May 5 15:06:22 PDT 2010

 Herbicide resistant weeds are nothing new. The ryegrass here on our farm
became resistant to Hoelon 10+ years ago. We started leaving out the fields
that were infested and used Gramaxone and Roundup to get rid of it. Finally
it got where we could plant the whole place in wheat. Then we started
getting some rygrass. Went to a new herbicide. In it's third year the
ryegrass has become resistant to it. According to the chemical rep. that
herbicide was supposed to last 5 years before they saw resistance but have
seen a lot of it this year. We are faced with leaving the land fallow to try
to kill the ryegrass or switch back to the original type of herbicide and
hope the ryegrass we have is a different variety than what we had several
years back.

John Hall