[AT] OT - Concrete

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon May 3 16:23:29 PDT 2010

The only way to really know is to do a compression break test on a test
cylinder and since I'm pretty sure a company repairing a driveway didn't
pull any cylinders then you can't do that.  It might help if you knew what
type of concrete they poured and what water content (slump) it was poured at
(most driveways are poured too loose).  It would also help to know what kind
of dirt is under it and how tightly compacted it is.  Without knowing any of
those things, if you were really experienced with dealing with concrete you
could kind of judge it by sight and feel but that is kind of like playing
russian roulette.

Best thing to do is stay off of it for at least 14 days.  If it's got a real
pretty white finish instead of grey it was poured way to wet and you better
stay off of it longer.  A lot of driveway and sidewalk guys pour wet so they
can get that pretty white finish that comes from the cement rising to the
top but that's not the way you make strong concrete.

Charlie