[AT] OT - Skunks--you can beat 'em!

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Tue Mar 30 17:54:38 PDT 2010

Medium size live trap with bait (yep, dry cat food works fine--if you
can keep the cats and magpies away).  Pre-fasten a long length of
baler wire to the trap so you can drag it slowly away from the house
(down wind) without getting sprayed.  You can shoot it with a .22,
pick it up with a lomg-handled shovel, and bury it.  The smell mostly
blows away in a few days.  Hose down the area to speed up the
process.      Here's another method that only works in dry
weather:  put the live trap out with the usual bait and go off and
leave it for about a week.  The skunk dehydrates to the point that it
can't spray.  I did feel a little bad for it and took it up the road
a few miles in the piclup and turned it loose.  No problem.  It just
waddled off into the woods.       John