[AT] off topic computer died

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Mar 23 12:27:30 PDT 2010

> My main Gateway laptop will not boot up it gets a blue screen.  My wife was
> trying to load a autocad training disc and left it and then reinserted a
> disc she had found in the drive which was to a chinese made MP2 player.  I
> need to get a windows repair disc to reboot the computer without losing
> everything that is on it..  I read about how to build a bootr disc and then
> get lost.  Can any of you guys walk me through this, or is there a web site
> that I can understand.?
>
> Cecil in OKla

Cecil,
 What do you have on hand for software?

If it is XP then it has a repair option on the CD itself.

Just put the disc matching the current OS in the machine and turn it on.
It will come up with a list of options. One of them will be to do a
repair install.

This assumes you have a copy of the OS on a CD. If not then you will
need to go with the bootdisk option.

MS actually has versions for all the flavors of XP and Vista on their
website http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

along with how to use them to repair an XP install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

For Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-happened-to-the-Recovery-Console