[Farmall] 55 Farmall Cub fuel tank: clean and repair

Dale flya737 at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 09:48:49 PST 2010

I have a 55 Cub which I am repairing/"restoring" a bit at a time.  I know this is not the most efficient method, but we actually use "her" for mowing and need to keep her running.  Also, I am doing it myself, so the project gets a bit slow...

I need to have some repair done to the fuel tank, which I have already removed.  I have not had any problem with sediment, and when looking inside, the tank APPEARS to be free of rust.  Does anyone recommend coating the inside of the tank while it is off?  If so, where do I take it?

Next, I need to repair a couple cracks where the tank bolts to the doglegs...the welded nut on one side has actually broken away with about 2" of metal (I have the piece).  What is the best method for this and to whom would I take it?

Third, in addition to just plain cleaning everything up while it is apart, what would be the minimum things to do, e.g. compression/bleed down test?  Valves?  ???

Thanks,  Dale Finch