[Farmall] 39 Farmall A: Getting sleeves/pistons out.

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Mar 3 04:25:16 PST 2010

There is a tool made for that. For the A, pulling the "wet" sleeves and
installing them isn't too difficult. But for tractors with "dry"
sleeves, pulling them out can be quite a chore. Here is an image of one
of the dry sleeves coming out of my Farmall H using my sleeve puller.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/sleeve_puller_fh.html>
Having the right tool for the job makes it MUCH easier. I have used the
puller on a Farmall 706 and a Ford 2N (and some other tractors that I
can't recall at the moment). The puller is regularly advertised in Red
Power magazine (if anyone needs the name and number, I can look it up).
On the Ford, I had to give the liners a "whack" from below to get them
started.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/2n_overhaul_3_31_05_11.html>
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_706_tractor/ns-2.html>

I have never tried dry ice, and never had a problem putting the new
liners back in - just some gentle taps on a block of wood.

Mike