[Farmall] 39 Farmall A: Getting sleeves/pistons out.

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 2 18:01:30 PST 2010

Al, since you are replacing everything it doesn't really matter how you beat
and bang on the old ones. If you should try to salvage the stuck ones, a tad
of common sense goes a long way. Most broken pistons are the result of big
hammers, no patience and hitting the piston where it is not stuck. When I
have to drive one out and a couple light taps with a wood block won't do the
trick, I make an insert to drop in on top of the piston. Remember the only
part of the piston that is stuck is the skirt. So turn an insert on a lathe
a little smaller than the bore. The face should be relieved so that a lip
about an 1/8-1/4" wide  is all that will touch the piston. Now you can beat
all you want. The force will go to the part of the piston that is actually
stuck. Just make sure you can get it out through the bottom--you may have to
pull the crankshaft.

For pulling sleeves I make an insert that will fit the bottom of the sleeve
and just clear the block. Tap it for a large threaded rod. Drill a hole in a
heavy piece of flat bar and pillar it up on top of the block.

John