[Ford-ferguson] Massey 44 - Lights, Hydraulics, etc...

Ben Bressler btbressler at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:01:11 PST 2010

Hello everyone --

Not sure if this list is the appropriate place for a Massey Harris question, but we'll see.

Just picked up a Massey 44 that I'm trying to do some upgrades to, and have a few questions.

First, the easy question, lights.  I'm planning on regular universal lights all around and wonder about mounting the front ones.  I see lots of tractors with the lights mounted on the fenders (and it appears I have mounting holes for them here)....yet others like the 8n have them mounted on the front -- and I also have a good spot to mount them here.  What are the advantages of having them mounted in their respective spots?  I'm leaning toward the fender mount so I can see the front wheels, but that also may project a dark spot out ahead of the tractor where the engine is in the way...

This tractor has the hydraulic cylinder under the seat.  I'm not sure if it's draft control or a lift, but I pieced together a three point for it and it's weak -- can these cylinders be rebuilt easily (is it worth it), or am I better off getting a new cylinder?  Is the hyd pump on these strong enough to lift most reasonable loads (blade, shredder, etc?)

Thanks in advance for the input..

Ben