[AT] OT: hydrostat mowers( Hydraulic drive)

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 20 11:57:44 PDT 2010

Thanks to all who have replied & participated.  I don't know the
technicalities or differences in the systems.  I can't readily observe the
unit in the Cub Cadet, but today I was able to look at the IZT's in my
zero-turn mower.  They have cooling fans on top of the pulleys for the belt
drive so the fan speed is in direct relation to the engine speed.  Also,
they are specifically designed for mowers so I am assuming they work most
efficiently at high engine & pump speed.  Other than the heat factor,
though, I'm still not sure which way of controlling ground speed is least
likely to cause damage when pulling an implement.

The IZT's are Hydro-Gear model 310-2600 units.  The General Description in
the service manual says: "The 310-2600 is a self contained unit designed for
the transfer and control of power.  It provides an infinitely variable speed
range between zero and maximum in both forward and reverse modes of
operation.  This transaxle uses a variable displacement pump with a maximum
displacement of 10cc per revolution, and motor with a fixed displacement of
21cc per revolution. The variable displacement pump features a cradle
mounted swashplate with a direct-proportional displacement control.
Reversing the direction of the swashplate reverses the flow of oil from the
pump and thus reverses the direction of the motor output rotation."

Thanks again,
Bill