[AT] OT: hydrostat mowers

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Jun 18 20:20:56 PDT 2010

Bill Bruer wrote:
> I have a Cub Cadet 1330 with the hydrostat transmission - that is, an
> integrated pump and motor unit.  Also, my zero-turn mower has 2 IZT
> integrated pump and motor units.  Neither is recommended for hard pulling
> jobs, yet both have drawbars and I see others using these type of mowers for
> pulling various implements.  The main possible damage seems to lie in
> overheating the hydro units.
>
> So, when pulling an implement is it better for the hydro units to use full
> engine/pump rpm and reduce ground speed with the hydro motor controls or
> slow the engine/pump and open up the hydro motors?  I hope I've stated this
> fairly clearly.
>
> Bill Bruer

I have a few Cub Cadets, Most are hydrostatic.

For max power you want the engine wide open and use the hydro lever to
control speed.
The hydro loses a LOT of power at lower RPMs.
As for heating them up, I use my 1641 to pull a 10" plow in dirt, a set
of drags, a set of discs, and have towed cars with it.
It currently has over 1000 hours on it and is still working hard.

However my tractors are all the older heavy garden tractor styles. Not
the newer series. I doubt that pulling a garden cart, small trailers and
the like wouldn't be a problem. I doubt that it would pull the stuff I
use though.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)